[swift-dev] AST – Understanding @lvalue

Greg Titus greg at omnigroup.com
Tue May 24 12:02:15 CDT 2016

An lvalue is something that can be assigned to / changed. The terminology comes from assignment statements: in “foo = bar”, “foo” is a left-value (lvalue) and “bar" is a right-value (rvalue). The difference is that the lvalue is a named location that can take on a new value and an rvalue is just a plain value.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(computer_science)#lrvalue <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(computer_science)#lrvalue>

In Swift’s AST, you’ll see @lvalue as the type coming from a declaration reference (declref) for var’s and for inout parameters inside a method implementation. You’ll see function application require @lvalue types for inout parameters (most of which will be the implicit first parameters of ‘mutating’ functions - the thing to be mutated). A load converts an expression from an lvalue to being an rvalue, and a store takes an lvalue and a new rvalue to be put there.

Hope this helps!
	- Greg