[swift-dev] build-script -x freezing?

Geoffrey Wiseman geoffrey.wiseman at codiform.com
Fri May 20 08:44:55 CDT 2016

Hey,

Let me start by saying I just checked out the Swift repos yesterday, and although i’ve looked at a little code and done some of the basic setup steps, this is pretty new to me, and I could easily be doing something wrong.

Having said that, I wanted to set up Xcode so I could make a change, but when I run build-script -x, it goes for a while and then just seems to freeze — cpu usage drops off and nothing further seems to happen. I have let it sit for maybe ten minutes, but not hours.

It is currently frozen in this section:
=== BUILD AGGREGATE TARGET add_custom_command_target-b646e880e18661860c3d95b53adeee18-ExistentialCollection.swift OF PROJECT Swift WITH CONFIGURATION Debug ===

After this line:
cd /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/stdlib/public/core && /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/gyb --test -DunicodeGraphemeBreakPropertyFile=/Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/UnicodeData/GraphemeBreakProperty.txt -DunicodeGraphemeBreakTestFile=/Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/UnicodeData/GraphemeBreakTest.txt -DCMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -o /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/stdlib/public/core/8/ExistentialCollection.swift.tmp ExistentialCollection.swift.gyb

If I break and run it again, it seems to do roughly the same thing and freeze again with slightly different information:

=== BUILD AGGREGATE TARGET add_custom_command_target-c5582f2ec66110e6e1b09a999368ab26-Slice.swift OF PROJECT Swift WITH CONFIGURATION Debug ===

…

cd /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/stdlib/public/core && /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/gyb --test -DunicodeGraphemeBreakPropertyFile=/Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/UnicodeData/GraphemeBreakProperty.txt -DunicodeGraphemeBreakTestFile=/Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/swift/utils/UnicodeData/GraphemeBreakTest.txt -DCMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P=8 -o /Users/geoffrey/dev/work/opensource/swift/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/stdlib/public/core/8/Slice.swift.tmp Slice.swift.gyb

Any thoughts / suggestions? —verbose-build doesn’t seem to add any useful information. Something I’m doing?

  - Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Wiseman
Codiform: Professional Software