[swift-dev] How to run the tests out-of-tree?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Thu May 12 11:12:20 CDT 2016

Hi, Karl. I don’t think it would be too hard to handle most of them. The tests are actually pretty standalone: they require the LLVM tool “lit <http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/lit.html>”  (in llvm/utils/lit/) and some helper tools from the build directory like “FileCheck” and “not”. To run them, the build system generates a valid lit.site.cfg file from test/lit.site.cfg.in and then points lit.py at that.

That’s really all you need. I regularly run lit by hand just pointing to the directory containing the lit.site.cfg file.

% /Volumes/Data/swift-public/llvm/utils/lit/lit.py -sv /Volumes/Data/swift-public/build/ninja/swift-macosx-x86_64/test-macosx-x86_64/

So if you can come up with a valid lit.site.cfg file and set PATH appropriately, you’ll be most of the way there, and then you can iron out remaining issues later.

Jordan