[swift-dev] swift (ABI) and Windows

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Wed May 11 11:23:23 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> concern of the the support modules (e.g. Platform).  If there are stubs
>>> that are being used (e.g. via _silgen_name) then there are issues with
>>> calculating the correct DLL storage for the associated global values.

>>> the standard library (as the runtime will be statically linked into it, the
>>> symbols that it is expecting to be externally available are actually
>>> private linkage.  Not hacking up the compiler like this causes issues since
>>> there are inverse dependencies (swiftCore gets dllimport interfaces from
>>> swiftRuntime, which has dependencies on swiftCore).  The crux of the
>>> problem is that we do not have a way to represent that in swift.

>>> an attribute to indicate that an interface is part of a specific module and
>>> assume that everything else is locally defined.  This would also
>>> potentially allow us to handle things like @inline(always) @transparent
>>> interfaces which get imported to ensure that a static inline function is
>>> given local visibility rather than a DLL Import storage.

>>> good way to determine what type of dll storage class a symbol should be
>>> given (since currently, theres no way to determine if we will have a symbol
>>> available locally or not when actually linking).

>>> SwiftModule as a container (a la llvm::Module) and indicate which of the
>>> TopLevelDecls are meant to be a single "module" (DSO, DLL, whatever you
>>> want to call it) so that we can properly track the DLL storage associated
>>> with them.  Am I confusing something there?

>>> The runtime is linked as part of the standard library, and its ABI
>>> interface should be exported from libswiftCore.dylib/so/dll like the
>>> standard library's. We should already mark up the ABI entry points with the
>>> SWIFT_RUNTIME_EXPORT and SWIFT_RUNTIME_STDLIB_INTERFACE macros. Is it not
>>> sufficient to expand these macros to __dllexport?
>>

>> The definitions can be marked as __declspec(dllexport) but the compiler
>> generated references need to be dllimport for the wrapped runtime functions
>> (easy for the most part -- see my changes).  There's also the concern of
>> stubs for the aliases (via silgen_name).  Those are defined externally with
>> no indication that they are locally available and thus should have default
>> rather than dllimport storage.  Similar things for standard library
>> metadata (type, witness tables, etc).
>>

> A gentle reminder on this topic.  I would like to get something sorted out
> so that we can try to get this resolved, preferably before the swift 3
> release.
>

> Just to chime in here (as asked by Saleem, um, a month ago) I think this
> is the right way to go. We should handle the DLL-ish case (mark public
> things ‘dllexport’ and references outside the Swift module ‘dllimport’),
> and not worry about static linking (unnecessary dllimports).
>
> (It seems __declspec(dllexport) is exactly the same as LLVM ‘public’ vs
> ‘hidden’—at least for Swift’s uses, even if that isn’t true generally.)

Yeah, for the most part, they serve similar purposes.

> We can then come back later and design / add some kind of “I know this
> object file is going to be statically linked into the executable” mode,
> which will drop all the dllexports. We’d also want to encode this flag into
> the serialized “swiftmodule” files (a library’s public interface), so that
> we know not to use dllimport for anything we use from there.

Unfortunately, ATM, the runtime is compacted into the stdlib, which has the
small problem of making the stdlib have references to the runtime functions
as if it were being dynamically linked.  We *could* just assume that the
any time that the LLVM module name is "Swift.*" we are building the stdlib
and not mark the runtime functions for external (import) dll storage, but
this seems rather fragile.  The problem is that at IRGen time, we no longer
have access to  the SILModule (AFAIK), so we don't have a way to identify
if we are the stdlib or not.  Suggestions on how to handle that would be
appreciated.

--
Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org