[swift-dev] [SR-710][RFC] Automatically detecting XCTest test methods on Linux: Reflection? SourceKit?

Drew Crawford drew at sealedabstract.com
Sat May 7 03:18:18 CDT 2016

> On May 6, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar at apple.com> wrote:
>
> The conclusion was that after weighing all of the tradeoffs, it made the most
> sense to encourage porting of SourceKit to Linux and then using it to build out
> the Linux test discovery feature. This was most in line with a desirable
> long-term direction without being blocked on language design.

For whatever it's worth, this direction is a win on my side as well.

In addition to the problem of test discovery (for which I'm using an out-of-tree parser), I have a lot of other problems entirely outside of testing that rely on source-level queries similar to the XCTest problem.  This is things like parsing comments for documentation, implementing dispatch-by-string, etc.  I currently rely on SK in many cases, but lack of support on Linux is a major issue.  Lack of features exposed in the SK APIs is another issue.

IMO it is a clear win to invest in resolving these problems inside SK.  Right now it is basically a glorified Xcode daemon, but I think it can have a bright future as a multi-client tool if we're willing to invest in making that happen.