[swift-dev] Swift incremental compile profiling

Samantha John sam at gethopscotch.com
Mon Apr 25 22:15:12 CDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar at apple.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/95e3be665d9387eb0d354f3d0f313e44c7b4245d/lib/Driver/OutputFileMap.cpp#L100).
> We tried writing our own, this is the shortest version that the compiler
> didn't error on:
>
> ```
> {
>   "": {
>     "swift-dependencies": "MyModule-main.swiftdeps"
>   }
> }
> ```
>
> - When compiling with the above file ('swiftc -incremental
> -output-file-map OurFileMap.json *.swift'), swiftc writes to
> MyModule-main.swiftdeps. The end result looks like this:
>
> ```
> version: "Swift version 3.0-dev (LLVM 752e1430fc, Clang 3987718dae, Swift
> a2cf18ba2f)"
> build_time: [514847765, 412105000]
> inputs:
>   "Class1.swift": [514841531, 0]
>   "Class2.swift": [514844635, 0]
>   "main.swift": [514841821, 0]
> ```
>
> - Where the [xxx, yyy] are timestamps with the first number representing
> seconds, the second nanoseconds. (
> https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/95e3be665d9387eb0d354f3d0f313e44c7b4245d/lib/Driver/Driver.cpp#L221
> )
>
> - We invoked 'swiftc -incremental -output-file-map OurFileMap.json *.swift
> -parseable-output -save-temps' to show us the paths to the generated
> .swiftdeps files. We assume that to get incremental compiles to work for
> us, we'd need to pass these generated .swiftdeps files' paths to the
> compiler somehow. We can't figure out how to do this, so this is the point
> where our incremental compile fails:
> https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/95e3be665d9387eb0d354f3d0f313e44c7b4245d/lib/Driver/Compilation.cpp#L348
>

> You don't need to point the compiler at the swiftdeps files, it reuses the
> ones passed in the output file map if -incremental is passed.
>
> You didn't mention it (I don't think) but you also need to pass
> -emit-dependencies, however it sounds like you are doing this.
>
> This is as far as we got. Would super appreciate if anyone on the list
> could point us in the right direction from here, especially for the
> following questions:
>
> 1. This would probably be easier if we could find the right test case. We
> poked around in test/Driver/Dependencies which had a bunch of tests around
> reading the .swiftdeps files, but we couldn't find tests that demonstrated
> how incremental compilation worked at a high level.
>
> 2. '-output-file-map': Is this file meant to be written by hand, or is
> there a part of the swift compiler that writes this for you?
>

> It is meant to be written by the build system which invokes Swift. See
> also:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-llbuild/blob/master/lib/BuildSystem/SwiftTools.cpp#L206
> which is what the Swift package manager uses (which supports incremental

This sounds perfect. I tried to install the llbuild but got stuck on
filecheck (and saw that you are trying to add it to the toolchain:
https://github.com/apple/swift-llbuild/pull/22/files#r61007286) Is there an
executable of llbuild I could download, or do you have any basic
instructions for what to do about filecheck?

> Your best bet is to take the exact command line used by xcodebuild, and
> then invoke swiftc with that to replicate the incremental build. If you run
> with -v you should be able to see exactly what files get built

 I tried running xcodebuild with the verbose flag but wasn't getting much
useful. Is that what you meant here? -v didn't seem to be an option.

Thanks so much,
Sam