[swift-dev] Why are we re-linking?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Mon Apr 11 12:22:51 CDT 2016

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 14:01, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 6, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> I imagine it's because your git hash has changed, which is used in the --version output for swiftc. I'm not sure how to avoid that cost entirely, but we could add a CMake option to not do it (which you could set locally), and we could probably move it to a library that isn't used by most of those tools (so that we're only re-linking swiftc).
>
> Could we move the hash to be a text file stored next to the executables in the installdir?  That way the text file gets updated, but not the binaries?

Oh, that's clever. Maybe that's good enough for local builds. I'd want to be careful about it for the binary we ship (to not waste an fstat).

FWIW this isn't quite just --version output; we also stamp it into swiftmodule files. But any build with an actual submission tag will use that instead.

Jordan