[swift-dev] swift (ABI) and Windows

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Wed Apr 6 14:57:01 CDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 6, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Saleem Abdulrasool via swift-dev <
> swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was playing around with the idea of swift and Windows since there are
> some interesting differences between COFF/PE and (ELF and MachO).
> >
> > PE/COFF does not directly address symbols in external modules
> (DSOs/dylibs/DLLs).  Instead, there is an indirect addressing model (thunks
> in Windows parlance).  Fortunately, LLVM has a nice way to model this:
> GlobalValues have an associated "DLLStorageClass" which indicates whether
> something is "imported" (provided by an external module), "exported"
> (provided to external modules), or "default" (everything else).
> >
> > Adjusting the IRGen to correctly annotate this part of the semantics
> should get us part of the way to supporting swift on PE/COFF.
> >
> > The thing to consider with this is that the DLL storage class is
> dependent on how the module(s) are being built.  For example, something may
> change from the exported storage to default if being built into a static
> library rather than a shared object and is not meant to be re-exported.
> >
> > Part of this information really needs to be threaded from the build
> system so that we know whether a given SIL module is external or internal.
> >
> > Given that this would potentially effect ABI stability, it seems like
> this is a good time to tackle it so that we can push this into the
> resilience work that is being done for swift 3.
> >
> > I would appreciate any pointers and suggestions as to how to best go
> about handling this.
>
> As Jordan noted, we probably want to thread this information through for
> ELF and Mach-O builds too, for a couple of reasons. One, if you're building
> a static library as opposed to a .so or .dylib, it's not desirable to
> reexport that static library's API by default through any executables or
> dynamic libraries that use it. We currently get this wrong; if the compiler
> knew it was building for a static library, it could give public symbols in
> the .a 'hidden' visibility so that they do the right thing when linked into
> dylibs. Second, ELF's default visibility is problematic for Swift, since it
> allows default-visibility symbols to be interposed at load time by other
> dynamic libraries. This imposes a performance penalty on shared libraries
> accessing their own data, interferes with some of the load-time
> optimizations we do with metadata that assume we can hardcode relative
> references within a linkage unit, and is flat-out dangerous in the face of
> interprocedural optimization. For these reasons, we export symbols with
> "protected" visibility when we're emitting them as part of the current
> dylib, but import external public symbols with default visibility. Since we
> already need to track this distinction, it should be possible to
> approximate the right thing for Windows by using dllexport where we set
> protected visibility on ELF, or dllimport otherwise.

Yeah, I can absolutely see this information being useful in a non-COFF
environment.  I think that approaching it where we can implement it
generically enough to be shared across COFF, ELF, (and possibly MachO?  --
sorry, not as familiar with the object format as the other two), would be
the best thing to do.  But, I wanted to raise the issue on swift-dev so
that all the concerns can get ironed out before I take a stab at doing
something like this.  Not to mention, some pointers would probably be time
saving as well.

--
Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org