[swift-dev] Requiring Xcode 7.3 to build Swift master for Apple platforms?

Ted kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Apr 6 00:25:38 CDT 2016

Hi Grant,

On OS X generally speaking we plan on staying with the latest released tools.  It simplifies the development model and allows the project to take advantage of advances in the toolchain.  Unless there is a strong compelling reason, we don't wish to hold Swift development back when there are released versions of the tools that provide necessary functionality to move Swift forward.

The other pragmatic reality is that it takes bandwidth and resources to actively maintain that Swift works on older toolchains.  Within Apple, we're always working on the next generation of the tools as well, and as Swift develops we are actively working on maintaining Swift working on the latest released Xcode but also the one in development.  Supporting an older Xcode would be something I don't think we reasonably could support.

Is your main objection here based on principle that Swift should be able to be always built from from-source toolchains on Darwin, or something else?

Ted