[swift-dev] [Discussion] New refcount representation

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Wed Mar 16 16:23:06 CDT 2016

> On Mar 15, 2016, at 11:59 PM, Greg Parker via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> I am considering a new representation for Swift refcounts and other per-object data. This is an outline of the scheme. Comments and suggestions welcome.

There are a lot of really good ideas.  I would like to see some quasi-specifics about the proposed bit layout of the inline reference count, however.  You said that there would still be an inline unowned reference count; is that now tracked independently of the weak reference count?  And do we still have an efficient fast path for testing uniquely-reference-or-pinned?

John.