[swift-dev] Build Error: Relocation R_X86_64_PC32

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Mon Mar 14 18:05:21 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016, at 06:44 PM, Greg Parker wrote:

> > On Mar 14, 2016, at 3:38 PM, Ryan Lovelett via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 12:16 AM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:
> >>
> >> IIRC there is no issue in the bug tracker, please feel free to file one!
> >>
> >> Also, if you are familiar with binutils internals, it might be helpful
> >> to bisect the linker.
> >
> > I'm finally getting around to bisecting binutils. I'm making some
> > progress but I'm getting hung up on one thing. The build script keeps
> > finding the "regular" linker at `/usr/bin/ld` instead of mine
> > `/tmp/binutils/2.25/usr/local/bin/ld`.
> >
> > I tried to update the PATH environment variable such that mine is before
> > `/usr/bin` but that doesn't seem to work. Is there an argument to send
> > that can force mine?
>
> Dumb answer: temporarily move /usr/bin/ld aside and install your linker
> there?

Hopefully not dumb since that's what I've been doing! 😆

I build other things on the machine and I was hoping not to pollute
those builds with my tinkering. If there was an easy flag to specify it
that would have been ideal.

Instead I'll just stop those builds while I tinker.

Thanks for the suggestions.