[swift-dev] Using Objective C class in Swift (open source, Linux)

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Fri Feb 12 16:48:50 CST 2016

> I want to make sure it's clear that this is (a) a big project, more than just turning on a bunch of flags, and (b) not likely to be something we'd accept into upstream. Improving the notion of "foreign classes", maybe; specifically supporting an ObjC runtime natively on Linux, probably not.

Depending on what the end-goal is it might be easier to port the Apple runtime to Linux. I had a crack at this a few years ago, I gave up because of the lack of shared library load notifications but doing something that doesn’t support dynamic loading shouldn’t be too hard. The Apportable port might be a good starting point.

— Luke