[swift-dev] GSOC 2016 proposal

Ted kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Jan 28 23:54:32 CST 2016

Hi Manish,

Thank you for bringing this up!

GSoC is a terrific program which has been a great value to many open source projects.  I discussed this with some of the project leads, and for this year the consensus was to not have Swift participate in GSoC until Swift as an open source project is a bit further along.

Participating in GSoC is a natural step for Swift in the future, but for now the general feeling is to give the project a bit more time to mature, having more people with the right expertise available to take on shepherding roles for GSoC, etc.  Many of the core contributors --- who would be natural shepherds for GSoC projects --- have been incredibly swamped between their engineering work on Swift 3 and the intense interest from the community in Swift as an open source project.  Giving the time for the community to establish itself and mature will provide the right conditions for both mentors and mentees to have a good GSoC experience.

Ted