[swift-dev] stdlib tests under FreeBSD

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Fri Jan 8 18:30:34 CST 2016

Hi, Davide. On OS X, there are no headers in /, so it's pretty important that Swift doesn't try to use what's in /. (This was doubly true during the transition period where many people had stale headers in /.) It's also common to use swiftc to cross-compile on OS X, and we didn't want inscrutable errors about using OS X headers while compiling for iOS.

That said, on OS X either Xcode or the "xcrun" tool takes care of setting up SDKROOT appropriately. I'd be fine with it defaulting to / on FreeBSD (and Linux), like C compilers do. If you're interested in implementing this, I would put it into the Driver <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/lib/Driver/Driver.cpp#L1080>; we already do this for "swift" (the interpreter) on OS X.

The test suite deliberately blocks out all environment variables from your environment except for a select few, to minimize the chance that something is passing (or failing!) based solely on your configuration. For the test suite specifically, I would suggest adding "-sdk" to the %target-swift-frontend substitution the way we do on OS X.

Best,
Jordan