[swift-dev] Warning when "overriding" an extension method that's not in the protocol

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sun Jan 3 09:03:09 CST 2016

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>
> Basically, the warning we're discussing is the same thing as saying "if you have a misconception about how protocol extension methods work, then you might be attempting to do something that won't work", which is basically just a punishment for people who don't have that misconception at all because it means their perfectly legitimate code is throwing warnings because someone happened to declare a protocol extension with the same method. They may not even be aware the extension methods exists at all, which makes the warning even more surprising.
>

>>> I think a much better approach to handling this is simply to update the documentation to make it much more obvious which methods/properties are "part of" the protocol and which are extensions. The current stdlib docs (in the iOS Developer Library) adds the text "Default implementation" next to any default method, but it doesn't actually separate out the default implementations from the required ones. This also means that when Xcode shows the method list in the documentation viewer there's no indication as to which ones are default and which are not. http://swiftdoc.org provides a much better display where "Instance methods" are in a separate section from "Default Implementations" (see http://swiftdoc.org/v2.1/protocol/SequenceType/ for an example).
>> We could certainly improve the presentation, but I don't think it solves the problem adequately because reference documentation doesn't convey the potential problems with introducing such a specialization. And this is a difficult enough area that I don't feel like Swift programmers should "just know" to be on the lookout for this.
>
> My belief is that a warning in this case would end up being unwanted in a disproportionate number of cases. I believe it's better to clearly differentiate between protocol methods and extension methods and how they behave in our documentation and education for programmers than to add spurious warnings that will annoy everyone who does understand the distinction.
>
> Another concern with this warning is it means that adding a simple `import Foo` to the top of a file can cause my otherwise-valid type definition to sprout warnings (because Foo may declare an extension to a protocol I'm using). I realize there's already cases where adding an import can cause errors (e.g. ambiguity errors), but I think we should think very carefully before adding anything else that causes imports to cause problems. And with the recently-proposed changes to import syntax we can even resolve ambiguity errors at the import line, but this proposed warning couldn't possibly be fixed that way (you can't name extensions so importing a module must pull in all its defined extensions).

The issue of extension naming has already popped up once or twice.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up adding the ability to name them eventually.  One use case would be selective import.  Another use case might be initializing extensions with stored properties that require nontrivial initialization (i.e. contain properties that do not have initial values).

IMO the behavior discussed in this thread definitely contains potential for unexpected results even when you do know exactly how the language works.  Maybe developer 1 takes advantage of a protocol extension method in cases where the static type is T (the conforming type).  Then developer 2 comes along unaware of that code or the protocol extension method and adds a method with the identical signature, but possibly different behavior, to the type itself.  The original code is now using developer 2's code.  I don't think this is an unrealistic scenario.

In the case of subclassing this problem does not exist.  We are required to specify 'overrides' when overriding and are not allowed to shadow 'final' methods.

The issue is more complex with protocols, especially given the need for retroactive modeling.  The rules that prevent these issues from arising with inheritance won't work.  At the same time, I don't think Swift as it exists today does enough to help us avoid them.

I've given this some thought and don't have a clear opinion on what the right solution is. But I do believe something more is necessary.