[swift-dev] Warning when "overriding" an extension method that's not in the protocol

Jesse Rusak me at jesserusak.com
Thu Dec 31 17:15:36 CST 2015

Hi Doug,

I’ve been playing around with an implementation of the warning you referenced here: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001584.html

Would it be helpful for me to take this on? If so, is there any detail in the radar assigned to you about what exactly should trigger such a warning? For example, I have it currently triggering whenever there’s a method with a matching name, ignoring parameter/return types; it’s not obvious to me how closely they should have to match, if at all, to trigger the warning.

Thanks!
Jesse