[swift-dev] bugs.swift.org usage

Ted kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Mon Dec 21 14:07:36 CST 2015

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 21, 2015, at 8:31 AM, William Dillon via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Now that I’ve published a tarball of the ARM swift compiler, I’m getting some messages about this or that not working.  I’m curious about the intended usage/audience of bugs.apple.com.  Should I encourage people to file bug reports, or do you only want bugs relating to the supported platforms in there?
>
> I think it’s fine to file bugs around larger community projects, so long as they’re on a track to becoming part of the swift.org effort (i.e. you don’t intend it to be a permanent fork).
>
> -Chris

I agree.

To further add to what Chris said, note that contributions to support a port don't need to remain in a fork before the platform becomes "officially supported".  We'd prefer that the necessary work to support a port happens in the main repository if possible.  People can use forks to do experimentation, etc., but once the bring up starts reaching some critical mass I think it is valuable to get those changes into the main repository long before the port is "done".

Ted