[swift-dev] Reducing the size of Swift binaries by shortening symbols

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Mon Dec 21 00:26:27 CST 2015

> On Dec 20, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel_dunbar at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nadav,

Hi Daniel,

> One thing you didn't call out here was any connection to visibility.

This is a great point!

Apps usually don’t export too many symbols, but they do import symbols from external shared objects and need to keep the long names around. I created a basic Swift one-page iOS App using the Xcode wizard and the generated binary had a string-table of 70K**. The same app in Obj-C had a 12K linkedit section ("size -m" can print this info).

> I would expect that in practice it is quite common for most of the symbols to not be visible outside the linkage unit. Inside the linkage unit, the compiler can already rename many of the symbols in any way it likes. Wouldn't one tact for solving this problem simply be to encourage more pervasive use of whole module optimization, and support compiler renaming of non-exported symbols?

I don’t think that Swift Access Control (public/internal/private) is affected by WMO, but I will check.

Thanks,
Nadav

** This is one of the names that the sample app has:

__TTSf4n_s_s_n___TTSg5GVSs12_ArrayBufferPSs9AnyObject__GS_PS0___Ss16_ArrayBufferTypeSs_GVSs15CollectionOfOnePS0___GS2_PS0___Ss14CollectionTypeSs_PS0___GVSs17IndexingGeneratorGS_PS0____GS4_GS_PS0____Ss13GeneratorTypeSs_PS0___PS0___GVSs12_SliceBufferPS0___GS6_PS0___Ss23_CollectionDefaultsTypeSsGS6_PS0___Ss32_CollectionGeneratorDefaultsTypeSs_GS4_GS6_PS0____GS4_GS6_PS0____S5_Ss_PS0___SiSiSs16ForwardIndexTypeSs_SiSiSs18_SignedIntegerTypeSs_SiSiSs33_BuiltinIntegerLiteralConvertibleSs_Si_PS0___GVSs14GeneratorOfOnePS0___GS12_PS0___S5_Ss_OSs3BitS13_S9_Ss_SiSiS10_Ss_SiSiS11_Ss_VSs20_DisabledRangeIndex__PS0___GVSs12_prext_SliceGS2_PS0____GS15_GS2_PS0____S7_SsGS15_GS2_PS0____S8_Ss_GS4_GS15_GS2_PS0_____GS4_GS15_GS2_PS0_____S5_Ss_PS0___S13_S13_S9_Ss_SiSiS10_Ss_SiSiS11_Ss_S14__PS0_____TFSs28_arrayNonSliceInPlaceReplaceu0_Rq_Ss16_ArrayBufferTypeq0_Ss14CollectionTypezqq_S_7Elementqqq0_Ss12SequenceType9GeneratorSs13GeneratorType7Elementzqq_Ss23_CollectionDefaultsType5IndexSizqqq_S3_5IndexSs16ForwardIndexType8DistanceSizqqq_S3_5IndexS4_19_DisabledRangeIndexSizqqqq_S3_5IndexS4_8DistanceSs25IntegerLiteralConvertible18IntegerLiteralTypeSi_FTRq_GVSs5RangeSi_Siq0__T_