[swift-dev] Dockerized Swift, Build Times and Other Notes Regarding CI

Max Moiseev moiseev at apple.com
Fri Dec 18 20:25:56 CST 2015

I personally think it would be of great help to newcomers to have a containerized development environment to quickly start experimenting. Non-newcomers would also benefit from it by being able to test their changes on different versions of Linux, for example.

I would prepare a set of scripts and Dockerfile’s in a separate repo to start with, and at least add a link to it to Swift’s main ‘README’ via a PR to see what the community has to say. Maybe an extra paragraph in 'system requirements’?

On a slightly more technical note, can you elaborate a bit more on why you’d need a docker-compose? If only for volumes to be in a separate container… Maybe I’m missing something.

thanks,
max