[swift-dev] `withUnsafePointer` mutates `self`

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Wed Dec 16 13:47:59 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Joe Groff wrote:

> >> I'm not sure we still have one that isn't covered by &x; that's my point.

> >> I'm inclined to agree.  Proposal?
> >
> > Sure, I'll write one up. I suspect that withUnsafePointer() / withUnsafeMutablePointer() are likely to be rarely used today, and most uses can probably be trivially replaced with just passing a &x ref, so this shouldn't be a big deal.
>
> We can't remove withUnsafe[Mutable]Pointer; as I mentioned to Dave, it's necessary to persist a pointer for more than one immediate call.

Rare cases like that can be covered by either declaring a nested function taking the pointer and calling it, calling an anonymous local closure of the right type, or even using withExtendedLifetime(&x) { (ptr: UnsafePointer<T>) in ... }.

> > I'll also go ahead and write up one suggesting that we should allow for using &x when x is immutable when passing a parameter to a function that takes UnsafePointer.
>
> That would be useful, though I would argue that the '&' shouldn't be necessary. We aren't C; '&x' means "this call mutates x", not "I'm taking a pointer to x".

Offhand, it feels surprising to allow `foo(x)` where foo takes an UnsafePointer.

Proposals submitted as

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151214/002861.html
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151214/002863.html

-Kevin Ballard