[swift-dev] This little program currently compiles fine, but should it?

Jens Persson jens at bitcycle.com
Mon Dec 14 13:04:28 CST 2015

Yes, and I don't know if there is any particular reason why the == operator
for Int doesn't have @warn_unused_result while the one for Doubles has:

func f() { 1 == 2 } // OK
func g() { 1.0 == 2.0 } // Warning: Result of call '==' is unused

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Johan Jensen <jj at johanjensen.dk> wrote:

> Because currently only unused variable/constant declarations have
> warnings/fix-its attached to them.
> There have been some discussion on making non-void functions warn of
> unused results
> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001580.html>
> and it’s possible that this would be in style with that.
> Perhaps (basically) empty statements should also give a warning?
>
> —Johan
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Jens Persson via swift-dev <
> swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> func ok() {
>>     let s = "see"; "Why are there exactly "
>>     0 == 0 * 42
>>     "warnings and errors in this code"
>>     let t = s + "?"
>>     print(t)
>> }
>> ok() // see?

bitCycle AB | Smedjegatan 12 | 742 32 Östhammar | Sweden
http://www.bitcycle.com/
Phone: +46-73-753 24 62
E-mail: jens at bitcycle.com