[swift-dev] Proof-of-concept port of Swift for Android

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Fri Dec 11 13:50:24 CST 2015

The checking code is in the "isRepresentableInObjC" family of functions around there, yeah. @convention(c) didn't need to distinguish C from ObjC on Darwin platforms, since ObjC and Foundation are always available there, so we didn't bother trying to separate them. You could probably get started by just disabling the checks for Foundation and ObjC interop altogether and avoiding touching any class, block, or CF types (which probably is easy on Android).

>>> In this (admittedly very simple) example, the author just calls the mangled name from C and appears to get away with it:
>>> http://romain.goyet.com/articles/running_swift_code_on_android/ <http://romain.goyet.com/articles/running_swift_code_on_android/>
>>>
>>> Makes me wonder whether the @_silgen_name approach wouldn’t suffice after all for a proof of concept?
>>
>> They're getting lucky. Swift function ABIs happen to coincide with C function ABIs in some cases, but this can't be relied on, and will probably break soon when we switch over the Swift-specific calling convention in LLVM.
>
> Are we talking about safety / type checking? I mean about validating that we’re not asking for e.g. a Swift Struct in our @_cdecl function? Or is there something else at play? The goal of Swift is obviously to be safe, but since I’m so new to this, what I’d like to see first is something that ‘works' at all, and continue on the safe side after that. I’m just after a proof of concept for now.

I'm talking about linkage safety. If swiftc exports a swift function with a certain symbol name, and C code links against it, we don't want to guarantee they'll use the same calling convention, unless the function is explicitly exported with an attribute saying it uses the C calling convention.

-Joe