[swift-dev] Proof-of-concept port of Swift for Android

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Fri Dec 11 11:17:02 CST 2015

It's mostly because that's how the parameter type validation logic I borrowed from @objc works, and I didn't have time to change it. The code for @cdecl has to be refined to support a "C-only" model, or maybe just only require ObjCInterop and 'import Foundation' when ObjC-specific constructs are used.

> In this (admittedly very simple) example, the author just calls the mangled name from C and appears to get away with it:
> http://romain.goyet.com/articles/running_swift_code_on_android/ <http://romain.goyet.com/articles/running_swift_code_on_android/>
>
> Makes me wonder whether the @_silgen_name approach wouldn’t suffice after all for a proof of concept?

They're getting lucky. Swift function ABIs happen to coincide with C function ABIs in some cases, but this can't be relied on, and will probably break soon when we switch over the Swift-specific calling convention in LLVM.

-Joe