[swift-dev] [RFC] SIL syntax for debug information Part 1: Variables

Adrian Prantl aprantl at apple.com
Thu Dec 10 10:49:35 CST 2015

> [...]
>>
>> Let me illustrate this with an example. The function
>>
>>> func foo(x : Int) -> Int {
>>> return bar(x)
>>> }
>>
>> is compiled to SIL as
>>
>>> // main.foo (Swift.Int) -> Swift.Int
>>> sil hidden @_TF4main3fooFSiSi : $@convention(thin) (Int) -> Int {
>>> // %0                                             // users: %1, %2, %4
>>> bb0(%0 : $Int):
>>> debug_value %0 : $Int  // let x, argno: 1       // id: %1 line:1:10:in_prologue
>>> return %4 : $Int                                // id: %5 line:2:3:return
>>> }
>>
>> Note that there is a bunch of information available in comments that will be lost once we parse that textual SIL again. I’d like to add syntax to SIL for the information in the comments. This proposal deals with lifting the debug variable information (the first comment) into actual SIL syntax. A similar proposal for locations will be coming soon.
>> With the proposed syntax, this could like like:
>>
>>> sil hidden @_TF4main3fooFSiSi : $@convention(thin) (Int) -> Int {
>>> bb0(%0 : $Int):
>>> debug_value %0 : $Int, !dbg_var(name: "x", type: "_TTSi", argno: 1)
>>> return %4 : $Int
>>> }
>>
>> More formally, debug variable info may be attached to debug_value, debug_value_addr, alloc_box, and alloc_stack instructions.
>>
>> sil-instruction ::= 'alloc_stack' sil-type dbg-var
>> sil-instruction ::= 'alloc_stack' sil-type dbg-var
>> sil-instruction ::= debug_value sil-operand dbg-var
>> sil-instruction ::= debug_value_addr sil-operand dbg-var
>> dbg-var ::= ‘!dbg_var’ ‘(‘ var-attr (',' var-attr)*) ‘)'
>> var-attr ::= ‘name:’ string-literal
>> var-attr ::= ’type:’ string-literal
>> var-attr ::= ‘argno:’ integer-literal
>>
>> This syntax for `dbg-var` is borrowed straight from LLVM IR and thus invokes a familiar feeling. Since the primary use-case of it will be in test cases, the verbose dictionary-like syntax is really helpful.
>>
>> Syntax alternatives I’ve considered and rejected include:
>> 1. debug_value %0 : $Int, “x”, “_TtSi”, 1
>>  Why: Hard to read, potentially ambiguous because some fields are optional.
>>
>> 2. debug_value [name “x”] [type “_TtSi”] [argno 1] %0 : $Int
>>  Why: Attributes in square brackets don’t typically have arguments and come before the entity they are modifying.
>>
>> 3. debug_value @var(name: “x”, type: “_TtSi”, argno: 1) %0 : $Int
>>  Why: The ‘@‘ sigil is used not just for attributes but also for global symbols and thus creates an ambiguity.
>
> Thanks for working on this, Adrian! My thoughts:
>
> - I don't see a reason to mangle the type name at SIL time. You should reference the formal AST type directly in the instruction, and print and parse it using the normal (Swift) type parser.

Good point. Is it safe to assume that all types representable in textual SIL? I’m slightly worried that a SIL pass might introduce a type (e.g., a generic function specialization) for which we don’t have any Swift syntax. Thinking about it though — even if there is no syntax, we would probably want to create one, so the type can be used in the debugger and REPL.

> - Since these are core parts of the instruction, I would say they need no decoration at all; they should just be part of the instruction syntax:
>
> debug_value %0 : $Int, name "x", type $Int, argno 1

sil-instruction ::= 'alloc_stack' sil-type (‘,' debugvar-attr)*
sil-instruction ::= 'alloc_stack' sil-type (‘,’ debugvar-attr)*
sil-instruction ::= debug_value sil-operand (‘,' debugvar-attr)*
sil-instruction ::= debug_value_addr sil-operand (‘,' debugvar-attr)*
debugvar-attr ::= ‘name’ string-literal
debugvar-attr ::= ’type’ type              // only needed where AST type ≠ SIL type
debugvar-attr ::= ‘argno’ integer-literal

Works for me. Thanks for the feedback,
Adrian