[swift-dev] Starter project: Convert release notes into something useful

Alex Chan alex at alexwlchan.net
Sat Dec 5 15:00:21 CST 2015

On 5 Dec 2015, at 20:54, joe via swift-dev <swift-dev at swift.org> wrote:

> It was a great read, but also kind of a pain as one long doc because I preferred to read from the oldest notes to the most recent.

I find it useful to have change notes in a single document – it’s easy to search and find when a feature was introduced.

> I was thinking it might make sense to split it out into separate files based on the release dates, and move them into a subdirectory of the docs directory. For example:
>
> docs/release-notes/2014-10-09-release-notes.md

Splitting them into multiple files is fine, but please have *something* that renders them as a single continuous page – substantially easier to search, and save you opening a stack of files if you want to read through multiple change sets at once.

Personally I’d just tidy up the existing doc and put it in at the top-level of the repo as something like CHANGELOG or CHANGES.md. (A Markdown file extension would also make it a bit prettier on GitHub.)

— Alex