[swift-dev] Roll-out of deprecating ++ and --

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Dec 5 11:29:31 CST 2015

> On Dec 5, 2015, at 1:26 AM, Matthijs Hollemans <mail at hollance.com> wrote:
>
> The proposal for the removal of the ++ and -- operators states that,
>
>> In terms of roll-out, we should deprecate them in the Spring Swift 2.x release (with a nice Fixit hint to cover common cases), and remove them completely in Swift 3.
>
> Is it possible to keep the Spring 2.x release non-breaking and backwards compatible? Authors of books everywhere will be grateful. :-)

Yes, that is the general goal.  I doubt that Swift 2.2 will be 100% compatible with Swift 2.1, but we don’t want major breaking changes.  Things like removal of ++, wide-spread renaming of stdlib and Cocoa APIs (etc) shouldn’t go into Swift 2.2, they should wait for Swift 3.  That said, making these things *warnings* in Swift 2.2 is desirable, because that makes the transition path to swift 3 smoother.

-Chris