[swift-dev] SIL proposal: remove multiple results from SILValue

Erik Eckstein eeckstein at apple.com
Fri Dec 4 12:58:23 CST 2015

ad alloc_box:

We have the project_box instruction (which is needed for Joe's upcoming change).
So it's actually a redundancy in SIL that we can obtain the same "value" in 2 completely different ways:

%1 = alloc_box
%2 = project_box %1#0
// %2 == %1#1

ad alloc_stack:

We need the 2 result values only because of dealloc_stack.
AFAIK we don't use dealloc_stack currently anywhere in SIL and also not in IRGen.
We verify that the dealloc_stacks are on the right place, i.e. are properly nested, so we could also dynamically compute this information.
So let me ask this question: do we really need dealloc_stack?
If no, we also don't need a project_stack for alloc_stack.

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 10:26 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

>>> This would mean generating a lot of extra instructions for a lot of very common cases, like alloc_stack.
>>
>> A quick grep on the optimized stdlib sil shows that we would need only about 5% more instructions.
>
> I have no idea what that’s supposed to tell us, though, because that’s purely the end result of an optimization pipeline that’s heavily focused on removing alloc_stack, alloc_box, etc.

The optimized SIL is much larger than the SILGen'd SIL, so it's more relevant for memory consumption. But yes, it does not tell us what's the status in between.