[swift-dev] Bootstrapping Swift compiler

David Owens II david at owensd.io
Fri Dec 4 00:31:47 CST 2015

LLVM is usable from C APIs and can be used from within Swift. There might be a few rough edges, but it’s doable. That said, it’s a lot of work to re-write the compiler simply to bootstrap itself, and frankly, while the syntax of the language is still in high flux, it would be a bit of a foolish task with very little gain.

I could see it potentially happening later (or a small team to start on it after v3), but there is so much missing from Swift right now that I don’t see the team spending any significant amount of time to do work that won’t bring any developer-facing features to the table.

-David