[swift-corelibs-dev] Issue understanding libdispatch runloop poking

Pierre Habouzit phabouzit at apple.com
Thu Oct 12 19:08:40 CDT 2017

oh and last, while working on FreeBSD, we are killing support for pthread_workqueue_additem_np, pthread_workqueue_setdispatch_np and similar functions that are ancient and do not support all the required prioirties. in your port, please do not try to repair this support if it is broken, because we're killing it anyway, that would be wasted time.

The minimal workqueue implementation that we'll support requires implementation of:
- _pthread_workqueue_init
- _pthread_workqueue_addthreads

Until FreeBSD supports this, the same internal workqueue implementation Linux has can be used. These interfaces above are not that different in terms of kernel requirements from the old interfaces and shouldn't be too difficult to support upstream long term from the original pthread_workqueue_additem_np era APIs FreeBSD had support for originally.

Anything older than that is about to be removed.

-Pierre