[swift-corelibs-dev] TimeZone database

Ian Partridge ian at poncho.org.uk
Thu Jul 6 09:09:29 CDT 2017

Hi,

I'm seeing quite a lot of tests failing when running the
TestFoundation target in Xcode.  The failures are timezone related.
Most simply, the code

let timeZone = TimeZone(abbreviation: "GMT")

is returning nil.

Walking through the CF code which sets things up, it seems to be
trying to read the timezone database from
/var/db/timezone/zoneinfo/zone.tab which doesn't exist on my macOS
system.

/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab is there and seems to be the right
location (?), but CF is picking up TZDIR from tzfile.h which says:

#define TZDIR   "/var/db/timezone/zoneinfo"

Any thoughts?  I feel like I'm missing something obvious and have gone
too far down the rabbit hole.

--
Ian Partridge