[swift-corelibs-dev] Interested in contributing to the foundation library, but needed some some pointers to start

Tony Parker anthony.parker at apple.com
Mon Dec 5 10:39:08 CST 2016

Hi Jacky,

Welcome! We are glad to help with getting you started.

One place that I think many people have found useful to begin is by checking on an API that they use themselves in their projects on Darwin platforms, and seeing if it’s implemented or not. If not, that’s a good place to start.

We also need a lot more tests, especially tests that compare the behavior of swift-corelibs-foundation to Darwin Foundation (an area we promise compatibility in). Our documentation could use some beefing up; many of the methods that were basically copied into the project from the generated interfaces on Darwin are missing any kind of headerdoc. I’d love to get to a point where this repository really shows the best practices for how to use all Foundation API.

Some other tasks that are hard to nail down but have been important recently: how do we do performance testing? How does that integrate with the CI system? How can we get a trivial preferences implementation going?

When you decide what’s interesting to do, then coordinate with us here on the list and we can provide more advice or help.

Thanks,
- Tony