[swift-corelibs-dev] Implementing HTTPCookieStorage

Will Stanton willstanton1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 12:47:03 CST 2016

Hello Tony and Philippe,

I don’t think it would be odd for cookie/setting files to be in a folder named after Foundation (namely ~/.foundation):
- The files are owned by Swift/Linux Foundation in the sense Foundation writes them, and Foundation is the only one that should access them directly. Foundation should enforce security.
- On macOS, settings seem to be written to ~/Library/Preferences/$(BUNDLE_ID).plist, and the proposed ~/.foundation/Preferences/EXECUTABLE_NAME.plist isn’t that different.
‘.foundation’ is used in lieu of a library directory, and I feel this is acceptable so as not to clash with any user ~/Preferences or ~/Library directory.  I am OK with the ‘Foundation ownership’ per above.
And, executable name seems reasonable in lieu of bundle ID.

I noted something like ~/.foundation/Library/Preferences/EXECUTABLE_NAME.plist may be desirable to keep symmetry/reuse more CF code, but changing Swift CF is probably necessary anyway and better (fewer search paths to loop through, possibly less I/O).

Am interested in alternatives of course :-)
- But having separate folders for each app seems complicated, ex. '~/.app1/Preferences’ ‘~/.app2/Preferences’ pollutes home.
- I don’t really mind the name of an encapsulating folder, .foundation or otherwise.
- Placing system configuration files in /etc is a norm, but I think I’d feel more comfortable with Swift app settings in /home/user (easier to keep track of, and I can delete the whole thing without consequences*). I’m also not writing any real low-level services in Swift… but others probably are… but they probably have their own code to write config data to /etc!

To Philippe’s points about security+future-proofing:
Perhaps the cookie file could be named per version of its format:
~/.foundation/Cookies/shared initially
When we have a new format:
~/.foundation/Cookies/shared2, shared3, etc? Or even pick a new name entirely?

I also think it should be up to Swift Foundation to enforce cookie security on a per-app/family basis (the latter requires changes to the package structure?).
Perhaps for now, it is possible to save the hash and name of the executable storing a cookie? And Foundation can load cookie storage only if the executable name and file haven’t changed? (Is that an unnecessary pain?)

Regards,
Will Stanton