[swift-corelibs-dev] Wrapping up Swift 3 for swift-corelibs

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:50:21 CDT 2016

I think a future release is prudent, for the following reasons:

1. swift-corelibs-xctest requires users to list each of their tests in an
`allTests` static property. However, this isn't source-incompatible with
Darwin XCTest. A developer could include the list on Darwin, and their
tests would still compile and run just fine.
2. We decided back in May that [this feature should be implemented by using
SourceKit](
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-dev/Week-of-Mon-20160502/001940.html).
Although while SourceKit can technically now be compiled for Linux, it has
a dependency upon libdispatch. To build it, we need to refactor the build
system to (1) first build the Swift compiler and stdlib, (2) then build
libdispatch, (3) finally build SourceKit. I'm not certain that can be done
by August 18th (although I'd love to hear from anyone who disagrees!).
3. Even if we were able to complete step (2), we'd still have to integrate
that feature into swift-corelibs-xctest and SwiftPM, which will no doubt
take some additional time.

Still, I'm looking forward to this being shipped this in Swift 3.x!

- Brian Gesiak