[swift-corelibs-dev] Performance testing via SwiftPM and XCTest

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:42:15 CDT 2016

I received some feedback on this proposal from Ankit Aggarwal, which
centered on how developers would edit and update their baseline metrics.
Here’s what I’m envisioning specifically:
Two new command-line options for swift test

   1. swift test --performance-metrics <path>. This is a path to a
   directory where JSON files containing the baseline metrics for the tests
   will be stored. By default, this path will be
   MyPackage/Tests/PerformanceMetrics. In my previous email, I suggested
   the default --performance-metrics path could be set to the same path as
   the swift test --build-path directory, but I have reconsidered. This is
   because I think developers would want to check their baseline metrics JSON
   files into source control, so that they can share metrics with one another,
   and with their continuous integration servers.
   2. swift test --performance-metrics-update <mode>, where <mode> is one
   of {all|new|better|worse|none}. This specifies the behavior SwiftPM
   should take when writing baseline metrics data into the JSON files at the
   --performance-metrics path.
      - all: Write baseline metrics data for all performance test cases. If
      metrics for those test cases already exist in the JSON, they are
      overwritten.
      - new: Only write baseline metrics for performance test cases that
      did not already exist in the baseline metrics JSON. This is the default.
      - better: Only write baseline metrics for performance test cases
      whose performance has improved compared to the last time they
were run. If
      baseline metrics for those test cases already exist in the JSON, they are
      overwritten. If baseline metrics for those test cases does not
exist in the
      JSON, they are written to the JSON.
      - worse: Only write baseline metrics for performance test cases whose
      performance has worsened compared to the last time they were run. If
      baseline metrics for those test cases already exist in the JSON, they are
      overwritten. If baseline metrics for those test cases does not
exist in the
      JSON, they are written to the JSON.

Two new command-line options for swift-corelibs-xctest executables

   1. --performance-metrics <path>. This is a path to a JSON file
   containing a mapping from test cases to baseline metrics.
      - If not specified, performance tests are not run against any
      baseline metrics, and so will never fail.
      - If specified, performance test cases will be run against these
      metrics. Based on the --performance-metrics-update mode (see below),
      performance test cases may fail if their performance does not meet the
      baseline.
   2. --performance-metrics-update <mode>. Same as the swift test
   --performance-metrics-update parameter.

PerformanceMetrics directory

If a package’s tests contain any performance tests (i.e.: tests that call
XCTestCase.measure(), XCTestCase.measureMetrics(), etc.), running swift test
will result in the following directories and files being generated:

MyPackage/
    .build/
    Sources/
    Tests/
        LinuxMain.swift
        MyPackage/
            MyPackageTests.swift
        PerformanceMetrics/  # Generated if any performance tests are
run. This is the path specified by --performance-metrics.
            MyPackage/
                Destinations.json                          # Contains
a mapping of "runDestinationsByUUID".
                8CE9E051-9AB6-44AF-8B80-F2DEFD409CB5.json  # An
individual run destination's baseline metrics.

In order to avoid name collisions, developers will no longer be able to
name their test modules “PerformanceMetrics”.
What happens when swift test is run

   1. swift test, using the default arguments, would be the equivalent of swift
   test --performance-metrics ./Tests/PerformanceMetrics
   --performance-metrics-update new.
   2. SwiftPM determines which of the destinations defined in
   Destinations.json to pass to XCTest. For example, if testing on a macOS
   64-bit system with one processor, SwiftPM attempts to find a run
   destination UUID in Destinations.json that matches those criteria. If no
   Destinations.json file exists, SwiftPM creates a mapping in memory.
   3. SwiftPM invokes LinuxMain.swift, passing swift-corelibs-xctest the
   path to a run destination’s baseline metrics file (in this case,
--performance-metrics
   8CE9E051-9AB6-44AF-8B80-F2DEFD409CB5.json), as well as the update
   behavior (all, new, better, or worse). This file may not already exist,
   such as in the case that a Destinations.json file did not exist, or that
   a JSON file for this particular run destination did not exist.
   4. swift-corelibs-xctest parses the JSON in the baseline metrics JSON
   file it is given, and stores in memory the mappings from test cases to
   their baseline metrics. If the file is empty or does not exist,
   swift-corelibs-xctest stores an empty mapping.
   5. swift-corelibs-xctest runs the tests. If a test exists in the mapping
   from step 4, it compares its performance to the baseline metric. If the
   performance is worse, and the update behavior is new or better, the test
   case is failed.
   6. swift-corelibs-xctest writes to the baseline metrics JSON file, based
   on the specified update behavior. If the file does not already exist,
   swift-corelibs-xctest creates the file, then writes to it.
   7. After running the tests, SwiftPM determines whether the
   8CE9E051-9AB6-44AF-8B80-F2DEFD409CB5.json file contains any data. If it
   does, and this run destination did not exist in Destinations.json in
   step (2), then SwiftPM writes the new destination to the
   Destinations.json file.

How will this work on Darwin?

I realized while writing this email that I have no clue how to get this
working on Darwin. Is it even possible to specify the paths to performance
baseline plist files to Apple XCTest on the command line? This seems like a
prerequisite to supporting performance testing via SwiftPM on Darwin.

It would be great to hear from someone on the developer tools team on this
topic (+cc Daniel Dunbar, Mike Ferris). I’ll try and figure out how this
works in Apple XCTest, and will send an update when I do.
Thoughts?

As before, I’d love to hear any feedback you all may have on this proposal.

- Brian Gesiak
​