[swift-corelibs-dev] libdispatch/GCD for Swift 3.0 on Linux

David P Grove groved at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 21 10:24:44 CDT 2016

Joseph Bell <joe at iachieved.it> wrote on 06/21/2016 09:15:00 AM:

> Thanks for the details, I appreciate it.  I have seen the term
> "Swift overlay" used, particularly in the context of libdispatch.
> What does that mean exactly in this regard (searching for it returns
> tutorials on overlay UIViews which I doubt is appropriate here).

Hi,

	There's a layer of Swift code that sits on top of the non-Swift
implementation of libdispatch to provide the Swift-level API for the
library.  This is called the overlay.

	In Swift 2, the overlay for libdispatch was relatively thin.  In
Swift 3 it became thicker and on Darwin platforms more reliant on compiler
support for importing Objective-C API declarations in a "Swifty" way.  The
main work item for getting the libdispatch Swift 3 APIs on Linux is to
compensate for the lack of Objective-C by manually writing a layer (in
Swift) that sits between the basic C-level APIs libdispatch provides on
Linux and the desired user-visible Swift-3 APIs.

--dave