[swift-corelibs-dev] libdispatch/GCD for Swift 3.0 on Linux

Joseph Bell joe at iachieved.it
Tue Jun 21 07:34:15 CDT 2016

Howdy all,

While working to convert some NSThread code over to GCD on Linux I noticed
that (to my dismay) GCD wasn't included in the Swift 3.0 preview build, nor
is it apart of the buildbot for Linux.  Scouring through the repository and
mailing lists I can see where it is possible to build, but there are no
downstream instructions on how to make a line like this:

let queue = DispatchQueue(label: "com.app.queue")

work with the swiftc compiler on Linux.

A couple of questions:

* are there any timelines that the principals of GCD with Swift 3 on Linux
can share; i.e., is the plan to have it included in time for the Swift 3 GA
release later this year?
* are there any follow-up instructions past getting it built on how to use
it (or will make install DESTDIR place it in the right spots in the Swift 3
toolchain hierarchy?)

Any useful tips or pointers would be helpful!

Cheers,
Joe

--
Joseph Bell