[swift-corelibs-dev] libdispatch on Linux, or C++ std::async?

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Sun May 29 23:28:45 CDT 2016

Hello all!

I'm working on https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-710, which involves porting
SourceKit to Linux. SourceKit contains a handful of references to
libdispatch symbols.

I have two questions:

1. Could someone share a set of instructions to build
swift-corelibs-libdispatch on Linux? I'm using Ubuntu 15.10 and have
installed [the dependencies listed here](
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-corelibs-dev/Week-of-Mon-20151207/000122.html).
I have tried using both `swift/utils/build-script --libdispatch` as well as
the instructions in the swift-corelibs-libdispatch `INSTALL` file. Both
fail with the [same errors](
https://gist.github.com/modocache/8389d5d64e39ca5a4281500f84e9ce11). Any
tips?

2. I don't know much about C++, but from what I understand the C++ stdlib
provides tools for asynchronous programming. I list SourceKit's uses of
libdispatch in a comment on https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-1639. For
those familiar with both C++ and libdispatch: do you think it's a good idea
to migrate to C++, at least for now?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

- Brian Gesiak