[swift-corelibs-dev] [XCTest] Cannot build using XCode

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Sun May 29 09:23:33 CDT 2016

Madhu,
Thanks for the report!
The main difference between the build scripts (which use xcodebuild) and using Xcode itself is the version of Swift that is used. The build scripts build a Swift 3.0 compiler, then use that to build XCTest. When using Xcode directly, you need to select a recent Swift toolchain yourself.
Which Swift toolchain are you using to compile XCTest in Xcode?
Our tests only make sure apple/swift master works. If the latest Swift toolchain from http://swift.org doesn't work, you may have to built your own toolchain. You can do so using the `utils/build-toolchain` script in the Swift repository.
Once you figure out your Swift toolchain version, let us know! You should be able to find out in the preferences pane in Xcode.
- Brian Gesiak

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 1:24 AM -0700, "Madhu Samuel via swift-corelibs-dev" <swift-corelibs-dev at swift.org> wrote:

Hi All,
I am new to this forum.
I am trying to build the xctest project. I followed the instructions at https://github.com/apple/swift-corelibs-xctest
I am able to successfully build via the build scripts. But, if I build XCTest using xcode using the SwiftXCTest scheme I am getting a few errors.
1. swift-corelibs-foundation/Foundation/NSXMLDTDNode.swift:242:64: error: cannot convert value of type 'UnsafeMutablePointer<Void>' (aka 'UnsafeMutablePointer<()>') to expected argument type 'OpaquePointer'            let unmanaged = Unmanaged<NSXMLDTDNode>.fromOpaque(privateData)
2. swift-corelibs-foundation/Foundation/NSTimer.swift:14:47: error: cannot convert value of type 'UnsafeMutablePointer<Void>' (aka 'UnsafeMutablePointer<()>') to expected argument type 'OpaquePointer'    let t = Unmanaged<NSTimer>.fromOpaque(info!).takeUnretainedValue()
etc.
My dev environment, OS: Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65).Xcode Version: Version 7.3.1 (7D1014)XCode Toolchain: Swift Development Snapshot 2016-05-09 (a)
Any help is appreciated.
Regards,Madhu