[swift-corelibs-dev] Looking at corelibs-foundation

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Fri May 13 17:19:02 CDT 2016

> On 13 May 2016, at 21:50, Tony Parker <anthony.parker at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Technically, swift-corelibs-foundation is only part of the distribution on Linux. On Darwin platforms, we use a combination of the overlay (stdlib/public/SDK/Foundation directory in the Swift project) and the Foundation.framework that ships on the OS.

I’m confused about swift-corelibs-foundation only being part of the Linux distribution. Are you saying that when Swift 3.0 ships, import Foundation on OS X and iOS will still import the Objective-C framework? If yes, I’m very surprised, and I think many people will be. One of the goals of swift-corelibs-foundation (README) says:

	• Provide a level of OS independence, to enhance portability.

How can it be portable if different platforms don’t share the same underlying core libraries?

David.