[swift-corelibs-dev] Looking at corelibs-foundation

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Wed May 11 18:02:13 CDT 2016

Hello people,

I wanted to start giving a hand on corelibs-foundation but hit two obstacles I’d like to discuss:

It feels difficult to know where help is needed because the ReleaseNotes, Status and Know Issues docs have not been updated in a very long time, as if abandoned. Hopefully we can update hem, but perhaps a rule should be put in place so that no pull request is merged without the corresponding update in the documentation?

I tried downloading the master branch of corelibs-foundation and running the tests before starting any work, but several of them crashed or failed. I am on OS X, Xcode 7.3.1, up to date on the master branches of corelibs-foundation and corelibs-xctest and am using the latest development snapshot. For reference, the failing tests are:

TestNSString.test_initializeWithFormat3
TestNSTask.test_pipe_stderr
TestNSTask.test_pipe_stdout_and_stderr_same_pipe
TestNSTask.test_passthrough_environment
TestNSTask.test_no_environment
TestNSTask.test_custom_environment
TestNSUserDefaults.test_createUserDefaults
TestNSUserDefaults.test_getRegisteredDefaultItem
TestNSXMLDocument.test_xpath

Any ideas? Perhaps I’m doing something wrong.

I was surprised to see fairly little tests for certain classes NSIndexPath, NSUserDefaults, NSScanner. Is that because the code was written before the Open Source project started? What are the rules on test quality and how are they applied?

More generally, I feel worried at how much work is still left, especially with the 3.0 beta branches starting. Am I imagining things or does it not look very good? What can we do to rally the troops?

A well meaning developer,
David.