[swift-corelibs-dev] difficulty building Foundation from fresh clone following getting started guides.

Ian Partridge ian at poncho.org.uk
Mon Mar 14 11:49:46 CDT 2016

Hi Aaron,

I think the problems you're having are because the Foundation
repository has been migrated to Swift 3, but there is no corresponding
toolchain available from swift.org yet.  The 3/1/2016a toolchain is
out of date.

You can build your own toolchain using the utils/build-toolchain
script from the main Swift repository though.  As Brian Gesiak
mentioned on this list recently, you'll probably want to comment out
the tests in the build preset, to save time.

Then, once you have a toolchain, you can install that into XCode 7.3
beta (which has new support for switching between toolchains).

Having said that, I have tried this myself today, but I can't build
Foundation using my new toolchain in XCode.

Linking fails with this message:

ld: mach-o string pool extends beyond end of file file
'/Users/ipartrid/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Foundation-ezklcwdscphlbyfeybewgemjwkhl/Build/Intermediates/Foundation.build/Debug/SwiftFoundation.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/NSLengthFormatter.o'
for architecture x86_64

Has anyone else seen this error?  Is there a solution?

Best wishes,
Ian Partridge

On 12 March 2016 at 21:42, Aaron Crespo via swift-corelibs-dev
<swift-corelibs-dev at swift.org> wrote:
> I was looking into some XCTest starter issues and ran into hiccups building
> Foundation according to the getting started guides.
>
> * I'm running Xcode 7.3 with the latest toolchain (3/1/2016a).
> * fresh clones off master of swift-corelibs-foundation,
> swift-corelibs-xctest (directory siblings)
> * CoreFoundation builds fine.
> * SwiftFoundation fails with multiple errors and missing types.
>
> The getting started guides, say to use the "Latest" Xcode should I be using
> 7.2? or is the latest considered the Beta version.
> It also says to use the latest snapshot which is 3/1/2016a for dev and Swift
> 2.2 for release the Guide link just takes me to the list of all snapshots.
>
> Should I just open a bug?
>
> Thanks.

Ian Partridge