[swift-corelibs-dev] libdispatch prep for integration to the rest of swift-corelibs

David P Grove groved at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 22 16:22:36 CST 2016

Hi,

Following up on the blocks discussion.  I looked at the various Block
header files and it looked there was a good chance things would just work.
So, I did a quick & dirty hack of copying the .c and .h from
foundation/closure into libdispatch/src/closure, building them, and linking
with them instead of with libBlocksRuntime.  All of the libdispatch tests
that were working before, still work (not surprising), so it seems
promising.

I speculate we would prefer to not have multiple copies of the blocks
runtime used by an application.  Therefore we need to get libdispatch and
libFoundation to use the same one.   The natural path would be to just
build a blocks runtime library from the sources in foundation/closure and
have foundation and dispatch link against that library and compile against
its headers.   I'd further guess that it would be preferred to leave the
files in foundation/closure (not create some new project) and tweak the
foundation build process so that it is possible to invoke it to build just
the blocks runtime as a separate step.

Does this sound plausible?  If so, I can start working on it.  Or is some
other approach better?

thanks,

--dave