[swift-corelibs-dev] [libdispatch] DISPATCH_QUEUE_SERIAL & DISPATCH_QUEUE_CONCURRENT

Tony Parker anthony.parker at apple.com
Wed Jan 20 14:36:32 CST 2016

Hi Daniel,

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Daniel Eggert <danieleggert at me.com> wrote:
>
> On 19 Jan 2016, at 18:56, Tony Parker <anthony.parker at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Linux, I expect there to be no overlay. Instead we will just have a module map and swift files created by the dispatch project itself. This is what we do for Foundation, and it does require that stuff in the Darwin overlay is duplicated as part of the swift-corelibs-foundation project for Linux.
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more on this works?
>
> I’d like to try to take a stab at adding Swift file(s) to swift-corelibs-libdispatch -- but I’m not sure how this would be done.
>
> /Daniel

For Foundation, we create a static library for the C portion of (this is CoreFoundation), then link it with the resulting dylib created from the Swift portion. The idea was that no one should use the C stuff directly. I’m not sure if this will work for dispatch - I haven’t tried it myself. We’re in very new territory here so I think we’ll have to experiment with a few things and see what works. I expect to find issues in clang’s support for this.

- Tony