[swift-corelibs-dev] Recommended posix_spawnattr_t for NSTask's implementation

Pierre Habouzit phabouzit at apple.com
Fri Dec 18 13:24:19 CST 2015

-Pierre

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 11:14 AM, Philippe Hausler via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I would definitely say that posix_spawn is the correct path to implement this; that will keep pretty close to the way the one on darwin works;
>
> Couple of suggestions:
>
> posix_spawnattr_setsigmask should be set to the empty signal set
>
> the attribute flags should probably be POSIX_SPAWN_CLOEXEC_DEFAULT | POSIX_SPAWN_SETSIGMASK | POSIX_SPAWN_SETSIGDEF
>
> You can probably skip QoS since it won’t exist on linux.
>
> There may be some issue with not having libdispatch to use for a source to watch a DISPATCH_PROC_EXIT but this perhaps could be done via a pthread (not certain on exactly how but perhaps it can be done)

No, it can’t that’s the big problem with posix_spawn() on linux, because the new task isn’t a child with this (or maybe it is on linux I don’t know) and there is no equivalent to the EVFILT_PROC which is the kevent backend for the PROC_EXIT dispatch source thing.

This feature is only available through netlink on linux which is restricted to the root user.

It *may* be that posix_spawn()ed things are children on linux and that a SIGCHLD source should be used instead, which means that NSTask would have to multiplex the SIGCHLD + waitpid() and route them back to the right NSTask().