[swift-corelibs-dev] NSDecimal & NSDecimalNumber

Dan Thorpe dan at blindingskies.com
Fri Dec 11 06:58:01 CST 2015

I’d be really interested in working on a Swift decimal number type. I’ve done some work on this for a Money type here: https://github.com/danthorpe/Money/tree/development/Money/Shared/Decimal

I agree that it’s best to start with NSDecimal, and that approach 2 would offer the most flexibility.

I have a few other thoughts regarding the number behaviors.

NSDecimal’s functions accept rounding mode parameters and return NSCalculationError but NSDecimalNumber accepts NSDecimalNumberBehavior parameter and throws NSExceptions. I’m not really sure what the reason for this discrepancy is and should a new Swift NSDecimal use NSDecimalNumberBehavior, but maintain backwards compatibility with default behaviors and defined rounding mode?

Also, should a Swift NSDecimal continues with raising NSException, or adopt Swift style error handling? I don’t think we would want to introduce try/throw/catch semantics into the publicly exposed methods - but we could have an internal API layer which does. Backwards compatible functions would then have to convert between Swift ErrorType and NSException or NSCalculationError.

Cheers,
Dan

p.s. in the linked project, I made a DecimalNumberType protocol generic over the Behavior, which I’m not entire sure was a good decision or not.