[swift-corelibs-dev] NSDecimal & NSDecimalNumber

Philippe Hausler phausler at apple.com
Fri Dec 11 09:45:13 CST 2015

NSDecimalNumber is mostly just a simple object wrapper for NSDecimal that interoperates with NSNumber so that seems like a pretty sensible approach ordering.

Since the goal of the swift-corelibs-foundation is to as closely match the current APIs of Foundation as possible (exclusions have been made where it just isn’t possible); so I would say that option 1 would be the more appropriate way to start off.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/NumbersandValues/Articles/DecimalNumbers.html might be a decent place to get a little bit of background; my suggestion however would be to write some really good unit tests to verify it’s behavior.

Eventually we would like to archive these things so keeping it the same structure is probably a good idea.

That all being said - NSDecimal itself seems reasonably suitable for a re-look from a swift perspective. NSDecimalAdd, NSDecimalSubtract etc all really would be more wonderful with operators and some instance methods/properties would be really useful as well. The implementation of NSDecimal and these additions are two different pieces and should be considered separately as well. In that any change that we make to diverge from usage immediately will not be directly usable on Mac OS X/iOS since we will have to work that into the foundation overlay and/or make modifications to the Foundation implementation for supporting any changes like that.

So in short: #1 is the suggested route for a pull request onto Foundation and #2 is a better route for a proposal for swift-evolution (specifically targeted at Foundation).