[swift-corelibs-dev] [swift-evolution] Proposal: Swift Open Source Project and Foundation replacements

Maxthon Chan xcvista at me.com
Fri Dec 4 04:50:28 CST 2015

Let’s take a look at C# which Microsoft designed to replace C++ MFC. The compatibility is never removed although C# itself is pretty complete already. During early days (2002) lots of components in C# are stubs calling back to MFC but nevertheless this presented a more or less complete library set to the user and allowed the language to gain traction - so many traction that now people demand it to be ported to multiple platforms.

Removing Objective-C compatibility in Swift (which does not even have a complete set of libraries yet) in this stage would undermine its usability and the completeness of the libraries, and when the project finally matured a bad reputation of “incomplete support” would already be out there, hampering its use.