[swift-corelibs-dev] Proposal: Swift Open Source Project and Foundation replacements

Maxthon Chan xcvista at me.com
Thu Dec 3 19:57:18 CST 2015

Swift without Objective-C support will miss out a few important pieces that is crucial to the success of Objective-C outside OS X:

1) AppKit and UIKit. Both GNUstep and Cocotron have their version of AppKit and GNUstep even have a version of UIKit. Missing this means there is no way writing portable Swift app that have any form of GUI.
2) WebObjects. I know that Apple deprecated WebObjects for Objective-C long ago, but its clone in GNUstep is still used and maintained. Missing out this means that you cannot easily write Web applications using Swift on Linux without going back to CGI or FastCGI - kind of defeats its purpose isn’t it?
3) Code compatibility. One of the best features of both Cocotron and GNUstep is that it allows OS X app to be ported to other platforms without changing its code. This Swift apparently won’t do this.

Max