[swift-corelibs-dev] [swift-evolution] Proposal: Swift Open Source Project and Foundation replacements

Jacob Bandes-Storch jtbandes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:23:21 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> As others have surmised, the goal for the Swift Foundation project is to
> provide a pure-swift implementation (which reuses widely-available C
> libraries) of important Foundation APIs that do *not* depend on the
> Objective-C runtime.  Reusing GNUstep, Cocotron, or even Apple’s existing
> Foundation implementation didn’t allow us to achieve those goals, so we
> didn’t go with those approaches.

This is great, but is the goal also to exactly duplicate all the
idiosyncrasies of the Obj-C Foundation?

Quiz: what's the result of NSURL(string: "http://one/two;three/four")?.
URLByAppendingPathComponent("five") ?

If, as I would hope, corelibs-foundation is an opportunity to make simpler
APIs that resolve some of these weirdnesses, then should the class names
(NSURL, NSFileHandle, etc.) really be the same?