[swift-build-dev] Canvasing Opinions About Testing
Joshua Scott Emmons
skia at skia.net
Sun Dec 13 14:26:59 CST 2015
> The proposal process for swiftpm is the same as that for Swift; we will submit a proper document later today (if possible) and everyone will be able to submit feedback. It is important to note that our proposal is just as valid as yours, so if you dislike what you read you should feel free to submit your own via the same process.
I haven't seen this go up on github.com/apple/swift-package-manager yet — maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? But to kick off some conversation, my own naive proposal would be something like:
* By convention, tests live in "./Tests" relative to "Package.swift" (though this location could be explicitly set in the manifest, just like ./Sources)
* Running `swift test` from the "Package.swift" directory would first build the package libraries, then build everything in "./Tests" linked with those libs.
* In the fullness of time, the build system would find all subclasses of `XCTestCase`, running each method of said subclass beginning with `test…`
* Until we have the necessary introspection capabilities, though, we can create a "main.swift" file that creates `XCTMain` with the list of tests to run. Once introspection is up to par, we should be able to delete "main.swift" and everything will just work.
* Subdirectories under "/Tests" could specify different "test suites". Each would have its own "main.swift", to aide in organization of tests for large packages. Test suites could be run individually via argument to the command line.
I'm sure there's tons that's being overlooked here. Comments?
More information about the swift-build-dev